Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology

A family member is out of the country and went into cardiac

Customer Question

A family member is out of the country and went into cardiac arrest. I will tell you what I know and what I don't know. Please bare with me I have limited knowledge of terms. The country he is in is Denmark
Heart stopped for unknown time
They used therapeutic hypothermia
Put into a medicated coma
Brought out of coma no response from patient
Put patient on dialisys
Patient started having seizures
Put back into a medicated coma
Is this normal protcal?
Why the dialisys?
Based on what you know from what I told you how does recovery if any sound?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.
this is Dr. Davidit sounds like the cardiac arrest has damaged the kidneys if the patient needed dialysisthis is very serious.seizures means the brain was injured possibly from the heart attackif the heart was not pumping blood to the brain or kidneys, even for a few minutes, this can cause severe damage, and even irreversible damage.recovery sounds like a very much like a long shot.the patient may never be the same again,the patient should be checked for brain death,if they stop the ventilator, does the patient gasp for air? that is one way to check for brain death.if there is too much brain injury from the heart attack, it might be best to pull the ventilator and allow the patient to diedoes the patient have a living will or advanced directives to let family members know what to do if they couldn't make medical decisions for themselves?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's just it he's no to a respirator. The patient is breathing on their own
why is the patient being put into a medicated coma if their are breathing on their own?usually patients are only put into a medicated coma if they are on a ventilator.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is what I'm not understanding. That's why I'm here asking. Details are limited on my end. So you know as much as I do. But from what I'm being told he's breathing on his own and resting as its being described
I doubt he is breathing on his own if he is being placed on a medicated comaI bet he is on a ventilatorthat is really the only reason to put a patient into a medicated sounds like the heart attack injured the brain and kidneysand he may not be breathing on his own.if didn't want to be on a respirator, that should be made known to the doctors who are taking care of him.they should check for brain death with that test I mentioned doesn't sound likely that there will be a recovery.I'm sorry about the bad news.