dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Iam a medical specilaist and now doing training in Cardiology and have more then ten years experience in respective field.

My family doctor recommended that I see a cardiologist because

Customer Question

My family doctor recommended that I see a cardiologist because after a EKG my heart rate was at 57 an was told it was slow ,also a pacemaker would improve my quality of life a lot.This was told to me in mid Nov 2015 so off I go to a cardiologist at my local emergency dept and the doctor there concered.I was leaving for florida for the winter and would find one down there and he concered also and told me that it would a gift reguarding the energy increase,well I'm still waiting for the gift.Oh ,they said the reason was an irregular heart beat that triggered their concern.My six month check up showed that I was doin ok.I have heart pounding for a short period of time when I go to bed but I sleep on my left side.I'm beginning to think that I may have gone for the proverbal ride.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  dr abid replied 5 months ago.
Hi there ...Thank you for the question ...Heart rate of 57 is not the indication for Pacemaker .If some one has low heart rate less than 60 along with heart block in EKG or if associated with Syncope , frequent attacks of low blood pressure than Pacemaker is indicated .So before thinking for Pacemaker it would be ideal for you to have 24 hour Holter monitor to look for heart rhythm , Block , or any unwanted arrhythmia .Just a heart rate of 57 is not the indication to implant Pacemaker.Regards ***** ***** luck .Please rate my answer as good service .Thanks .