Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

I have high blood pressure and AFIB. Is the reading of blood

Customer Question

I have high blood pressure and AFIB. Is the reading of blood pressure more difficult with Afib than without the irregular beat? When blood pressure is deemed to be high, is it high 24/7?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 7 months ago.
HelloOver 120/80 is highOver 140/90 is more critical.It is not harder for a doctor to get the BP with afib.It should not affect the reading.At your age, less than 150 on the systolic pressure is OK. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question, atrial fibrillation does effects the blood pressure readings, best way to make sure the accurate reading is to take 3 readings in the same arm consecutively and take the average of these readings. Let me know if you have questions.I am working as assist professor in the field of cardiology and can help you further. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Alan DeCarlo replied 7 months ago.
Dr. Saeed is correct. he should get the credit
Thank you Dr Alan.