Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My name is ***** *****'s name is ***** ***** have

Customer Question

My name is Steve,
My dad's name is ***** ***** have a question My dad has a Mitral regurgitation in his big heart valve the main valve. Now he is on a medication called Atenolol Now my father has never had high blood pressure and doesn't have it now, but for years he has been on Atenolol, but never asked the doctors why he was being perscribed it. And I guess they doctors never told him why they were putting him on it or he just doesn't remember what they told him. Now from the information that I got (online) It says that Atenolol is used to treat High blood pressure, Which he does not have. Angina which he does not have. Chest pain which he does not have. He does not have an irregular heart beat, however he does have a heart Murmur. Atenolol is used to treat an irregular Heart beat. Doesn't have an irregular heart beat. does have the heart Murmur. but it's not used to treat that so he is still on a medication for a problem he does not have. It also says it's used to treat and prevent a heart attack. Which he has not had in all the years he was on this medication. So I guess my question is? Is this medication used to treat a mitral valve regurgitation. In the sense that when you have that maybe your risk of a heart attack increases if your not on the medication? Or does your risk of developing high blood pressure increase if your not on the medication because of the fact that you have the mitral valve regurgitation. My dad spoke with his Cardiologist today and he said that he could get off the medication, because My father asked him too I just can't believe that he would have kept him on this medication all these years for a problem he didn't have. Cause his doctor said that he could get off the medication and just monitor his blood pressure I'm guessing either with a home meter, or to go to a drug store and use one of there machines. But he could have been doing this for years without being on it. So I'm wondering why he was on it in the first place and if there is any risk to anything if he stops taking the medication now
Thank you!
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.While the Evil Dr. Google may say that your father is on the wrong medications, I can assure you that -- from what you have posted -- your fathers doctors are using accepted medicines that are for his condition. Many drugs work for different problems and your doctor picks and chooses between them to give the best results for any particular set of medical issues......Since your dad wanted off the drugs, drugs that have been working for him, the cardiologist looked at the situation and figured "hey, if he wants off the medicine we can watch his BP closely for problems and see how thing go..."But, remember. That cardiologist went to school for at least 22 years to be able to pick these drugs......second guessing him by reading on the internet may not be the best thing to do ;)Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He doesn't have high blood pressure though? My father himself told me that. I was wondering if the leaky heart valve can cause a person to develop High blood pressure even though he has never had it and that's what they are trying to prevent by having him on that medication. Cause even my dad didn't know why he was on that medication my dads fault for not asking.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So I guess I was looking for you to give me other situations where a person might be on that medication in my fathers situation. It's also used to treat a heart attack or prevent a heart attack from happening again. So My question is does a patients risk of having a heart attack increase because he has a Mitral valve regurgitation. He doesn't have High blood pressure my dad is positive on this.
I can tell that you do not think your father should have been on this medication. I can think of many reasons why a patient with MVR would do well with Atenolol even if their BP was never in the usual range for being called "high".Moderate to significant MVR can lead to heart failure over time and cause pulmonary hypertension and contribute to a heart attack....So. To answer your question:It is possible for your dad's MVR to increase his risk of cardiopulmonary problems, including a heart attack.I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern. Dr. Rick MD FACS