Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  I am a certified critical care specialist with experience of working in cardiology for over 2 years including CCU and CSICU
22950887

If I quit smoking today now that I'm 37 years old, will my

Customer Question

If I quit smoking today now that I'm 37 years old, will my chances of having cancer and heart disease greatly diminish over time or will those chances stay the same?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 months ago.
Hi, Im glad to hear that you quit smoking. The simple answer to this question is that your chances DO decrease with time. The risk of coronary artery disease drops to less than half of that of a smoker, one year after quitting smoking. The risk of stroke drops to equal that of a non smoker after 5 years of quitting smoking. After 10 years, your risk of cancer would be half that of a smoker and after 15 years, your risk of heart disease will be equal to that of a non smoker. So simply put your chances of getting these diseases decreases over time. I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a POSITIVE/EXCELLENT feedback rating by clicking on the stars, so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off. If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali". Thank you for using Just Answer.
Do you have any more questions?If you are satisfied, Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars below, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating.