abray1115
abray1115, Physician
Experience:  Primary care with particular interest in cardiology problems and prevention. Work closely with cardiologist colleagues.
13781349

I have just had what I assume is a low blood sugar attack. I

Customer Question

I have just had what I assume is a low blood sugar attack. I am a type 2 Diabetic on Metformin and Victoza plus glimeperide. I also have high blood pressure and just added a new medication Prazosin. I tried to take my blood pressure with a home monitoring unit and it won't read. I keep getting errors. My question is I am not sure how identify low blood sugar attacks from possible a low blood pressure attack?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 8 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.You need a finger stick blood glucose machine to check blood sugar levels.If you don't have one, get one......they are very inexpensive at walmart etc.If your BP was too low to read you would most likely be unconscious...Does this make sense to you? It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Expert:  abray1115 replied 8 months ago.
Hello!This is a different physician and i have a bit of input to share with you that hopefully will be helpful..I would agree with you that you want to be able to get accurate home blood pressure readings,,,There can be different reasons for an error message on these home BP units..Low batteries or poor positioning are a couple of reasons that this can happen..If your BP is too high or too low for the machine to read then that may be a reason..You might try getting BP checked at a store machine such as a pharmacy ( CVS / Walmart, etc..) You may get a quick nurse visit at most doctor's offices or an urgent care and they could quickly check both a blood sugar or blood pressure reading for you...Most primary care offices would be happy to check these for you to get a quick answer for you...Yes, it may be a wise step to have your own glucometer at home and learn to use it.. ( Here again a nurse at your doctor's office would be happy to help..)What type SYMPTOMS were you having earlier today ?? That may be helpful to clue in as to what may have been going on..It has been some time since your initial question so I hope that you are feeling better now...Let me know if you have further questions for me and I too will be happy to get back with you!I hope that this is helpful for you.Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
PS if you have large arms then an arm cuff may be too small and be inaccurate >> wrist type cuffs are the ones I most recommend ( wrist size tends to vary less from one person to the next ) I have had poor results as to the accuracy of the finger type BP cuffs however so I do not recommend those...