Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

My husband was laying behind me in bed with his left arm around

Customer Question

My husband was laying behind me in bed with his left arm around my waist. I felt the pulse in his arm start to pound very hard down towards the wrist. I took his wrist and started counting his pulse. His pulse was racing very fast and his heart beat was very erratic I would count very fast and then it would stop for a few beats, start up again for several beats miss a couple and so on. He could not feel the pounding in his chest at all. I took the right arm and was looking for the pulse which was not pounding. When the left arm stopped pounding I could feel a regular pulse in the right arm.
He is 69 years old, diabetic and just started running again about 6 weeks ago. He is planning on flying into Florida in 2 days and running in a 6 mile race anyways. I have begged him not to go and get some tests to see what happened. I'm not getting anywhere with him. Should he run and should he get some kind of a workup.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 8 months ago.
In order to help you, I need more information. I take it that he has never had any heart condition before ? Did he have any other symptoms during these episodes where his pulse went fast, such as dizziness, fainting, chest pain or shortness of breath? Does he usually run and exercise, if so, has he had any complaints in his chest while doing so recently ?
Did you get my response ?