How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Alan DeCarlo Your Own Question
Dr. Alan DeCarlo
Dr. Alan DeCarlo, Medical Doctor
Category: Cardiology
Satisfied Customers: 18
Experience:  dasdasd
Type Your Cardiology Question Here...
Dr. Alan DeCarlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is safest procedure valve stenosis of elderly

Customer Question

what is safest procedure for Mitral valve stenosis of elderly patient(very weak and fragile) Now have AFIB and shortness of breath)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Alan DeCarlo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Alan. How old is the patient, height and weight and are there other additional problems such as lung disease or other debilitating age related factors? Do you know the pulmonary (lung) pressure as measured by Echo imaging?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she is 85 years old,had chronic asthma,weight is 105 pound.According to echo report done last August , LVIDd 4.0cm LCID S 2.6 CM LVPWd 0.81 , iv sd:0.90

Expert:  Dr. Alan DeCarlo replied 1 year ago.
You did not indicate pulmonary pressures. Indirectly it seems like cardiac pumping function (EF) is OK; but do know the % value from the Echo findings? In general mitral valve surgery; such as a commisurtomy (just breaking up the calcified valve leaflets) or replacement might be attempted by minimally invasive surgery (small incision). Chronic lung disease can be evaluated by Pulmonary Function testing. I cannot advise exact risk which would have to be given by a surgeon who evaluates the overall picture; but I would guess the risk here might be significant. A Cardiothoracic surgeon who does this type of surgery could better advise you; agree do the case with risk advised, or possibly tell you not to proceed. An informed opinion might set your mind at ease.If you are satisfied ,please rate me; or let me know if I can be of further help
Expert:  Dr. Alan DeCarlo replied 1 year ago.
Please rate me or let me know if I can be of further help
Expert:  Dr. Alan DeCarlo replied 1 year ago.
Please give a rating. Thank you