Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

So past year my ankles and a little bit above swell

Customer Question

So for the past year my ankles and a little bit above swell by the end of the day. I am overweight, had a battery of blood tests run and everything came back fine. My BP is up and down and I read online hypertension can cause it or hypertensive heart disease. I've been to the dr and she told me to just watch my salt. Do I have heart disease and am gonna have a heart attack? Can this be fixed? When I drink water and lay off the sodas they don't swell as much.....should I find a new md?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for this questionDo you take any meds?what is your height and weight?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am 34 I am 5'9 and 265. I have lost 20 pounds in 2 months though. I am working on it. But went on vacation and kind of fell off the wagon a bit and the swelling came back more. I swell a little at the end of the day but I can prop my feet up and it goes down and is gone by morning time. I had an egg not too long ago and it came back ok I guess because they did the surgery I was supposed to have.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ekg*
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The only medstat I take is motrin.
Thanks for this replyHigh salt diet and heat (I am assuming both took place on vacation) can both cause leg swellingI am guessing that is what happened. It is simply fluid accumulationI call it "vacation legs"That is a trademark to dr. Phil :)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But I have had swelling for a year or so now. But like I said when I do good on my diet I swell a little but not as much as I have the last week. I do sit down all day and know I am overweight. I know hypertension is the silent killer so I just wanna be sure. Can being overweight cause the ankle/leg swelling? Can high boots cause it? If it is the BP do I have heart damage and is it fixable?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
High bp*...sorry auto correct!
yes, being overweight absolutely causes itit makes it harder for the veins to bring blood back up to the chestno heart damage
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have propped them up for about an hour....not above my head, just letting them rest straight out on the bed and it has gone way down. My BP has been kinda on the high side for the last few years but not everytime i take it. So you don't think it's heart damage? How can you tell it's not?
I can tell because it worsens with bad diet, heat and when you are not eating rightAlso you would be short of breath and it wouldn't just reverse on its own
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do get short of breath climbing stairs..etc.but I chalk that up to carrying and extra 100 pounds or so. Which is probably the cause of sob right? Yeah it is pretty much gone in the mornings when I wake up. Like I said before vacation the swelling was minimal but since I've gotten back it has doubled almost kinda if that makes sense.
Also you would be short of breath laying flat on your backYes the shortness of breath is the extra weight. It would get worse with leg swellingplease dont forget a positive rating
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So basically once I finish with the weight loss it should resolve completely? Like I said since I had been doing good with the diet it has lessened
Some days are better than others. :-) What do you mean the leg swelling will cause sob to get worse. You mean when my legs swell the sob gets worse on exertion because of the added extra weight and that's normal, not because of heart condition...
Yes, that is exactly what I mean.leg swelling in heart failure means more fluid means more SOB
Thanks for this questionPlease don't forget a positive rating. I apprecaite itIf you have more questions, just reply
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That last answer confused me. Sorry it has taken me this long to get back on here. I said :
Some days are better than others. :-) What do you mean the leg swelling will cause sob to get worse. You mean when my legs swell the sob gets worse on exertion because of the added extra weight and that's normal, not because of heart condition...You replied:Yes, that is exactly what I mean.leg swelling in heart failure means more fluid means more SOBDid you mean that the sob can be caused by the ankle leg swelling without a heart condition? And it will resolve after I lose weight? Cause it looks like you meant sob only happens bc of a heart condition.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 7 months ago.
would you mind rating positive for me?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for this questionPlease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)If you have more questions, just reply.