Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology

I have had arrhythmia's last 13 months. The first episode

Customer Question

I have had arrhythmia's for the last 13 months. The first episode to start this was afib which I had a cardiovert for in March 2015. Just as a sidenote to preface my overall heart health, during my cardio vert my cardiologist had said my heart was exceptionally healthy--I have been an athlete for most of my life (I'm 37.) In September 2015 I started having thudding in my chest, went to the ER and my Cardiologist said I had PVC's. Fast forward to Feb 2016 and again I was in the ER this time with PAC's.
Since then I've moved so I'm in between health insurance as I wait for my new benefits to kick in May 1 hence why I'm here asking this question. My question is, now my heart is doing something different then it ever has. What seems to be an arrhythmia has become more consistent. But this pattern feels different then the PAC or PVC pattern I went through before. (I know without an ECG machine this might be a lost cause but wanted to ask anyways). My heart beat has slowed down and its almost like my heart is beating so slow that the lub-dub sound of a normal beat is split in two. So in other words my pulse is now lub.....dub with .5-1 second between the lub and dub, instead of the normal lub-dub, no pause in between. It doesnt feel like my heart has stopped or there is an empty feeling that comes with some arrhythmia's, it just feels like my heart is beating slower. I'm not having any side effects either from this arrhythmia.
Any idea on what this may be? I've have scoured the internet and re-read up on PAC's and PVC's but even though I sometimes still have PAC's a few times a week for an hour or two, this new arrhythmia isn't the same as those.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question, i am assistant professor in field of medic and can help you. Are you taking medicine like beta or calcium channel blockers ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, Im not taking any medications
Thank you for your reply, these symptoms indicate that your heart rate is slow, this can happen in athletes, you need a test called holter test or event monitor this will make sure nothing sinister is going on. If you do not have symptoms of dizziness, blackouts then this means your symptoms are due to slow heart rate and it is not serious. Let me know if you have questions, Thank you.