Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

I woke up this morning with some tingling in my lower arm.

Customer Question

hello. I woke up this morning with some tingling in my lower arm. Throughout the morning it has tingled on and off and has also felt a slight numbness between my wrist and elbow along the inside of my lower arm. I have no other symptoms except it makes me worry if I need to get medical attention. No pain. I have none of stroke symptoms except this thing with the tingling in my lower arm. My pinkie and my ring finger also feel slightly numb Does this sound like a medical emergency?
Category: Cardiology
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I forgot to tell you it is my left arm which is why I was more concerned.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I keep adding things. But I have been sitting here running a piece of paper over my arm to see exactly where the numbest place seems to be. It is right under my elbow on the inside of my arm right under where you would have your blood drawn. It runs from there down to my wrist on the inside.
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 8 months ago.

In order for me to help you I need more information: your age, gender, if you have any history of heart problem, are you diabetic and if you have any kind of chest pair or chest discomfort? Would any thing, like exertion or emotional stress make your symptoms worse?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No known heart problems. I am 62 year old female. No chest pains or shortness if breath
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No diabetes
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just took my blood pressure. It is perfect

Your symptom, tingling within of your left arm, with no other chest symptoms, is unlikely to be heart related and does not sound emergent. If you had primary chest pain/discomfort that extends to the left arm and is associated with numbness, along with other symptoms, then that's a diffrent story and you will be advised to seek immediate medical attention. Although, in general, females tend to have vague symptoms as a manifestation of a heart attack, your symptoms is unlikely to be the case. Tingling of the hands/arms is common and as an isolated symptom is usually benign and non-emergent. If it persists, then you should follow up with our doctor early in the week

Should you develop any associated chest pain/discomfort, shortness of breath, or start sweating with exertion etc. then you should seek immediate medical attention at the closest emergency room. Not at this point though

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does this in any way sound stroke related

You did tell me it is your left arm :-) The answer is the same.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
why would it

Well, the heart related symptoms typically start at the chest and extends to the left arm, in form of pain, aches or discomfort, and tingling/numbness might accompany these symptoms along with other features as well. You have isolated tingling of the left forearm with no associated chest symptoms. That's why it is very unlikely to be heart related

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thankyou. I am wondering if I have carpal tunnel. Do not know if it involves the inside of the arm

It does not sound stroke related either, but if gets intense and you develop other classic stroke symptoms (arm/leg weakness, speech difficulty, etc. then you should seek medical attention.

That is one of many possibilities but your family doctor will be able to help you with that after he/she examines you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thankyou

You are very welcome.

Could you please complete the star rating

Friendly reminder to complete my star rating

Could you please complete the rating