Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have state disability filed because had heart attack in

Customer Question

i have state disability filed because had heart attack in dec 15 2015 and I'm on medical leave my primary has my leave up till end of April for now and i haven't really recovered yet still very stressed out and tense and eweak and tired due to drug interactions and side effects which i haven't even been able to start my cardiac classes and went to see my cardiologist and he did stress test and says we need to take it easy and slow and at same time rule out the drugs to see which on has bad side effect and change them around and i told him how my strength is still not back and i catch my breath and can't do much and my work is all physical and stressful and I'm not ready to go back to work I'm on it for 3 month for now and i was granted 15 month can i ask my doctor to extend it as much as i need to until i feel ready emotionally and mentally and physically to go back . my cardio says that my primary can extend it as long as i need to recover cause it was serious one and i had stent put in my main artery was completely blocked I'm 35 and it was all stress healthy no smoke no family issues or drinking niching very active just lots of stress at work corporate company
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How were you granted 15 months?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
work has medical leave policy for 12 and state disability granted12 months of pay . I'm taking blood thinners and heart medication for pressure and cholesterol as well as extra measure . My primary has my leave until April for now . i know you can extend it what i want to know is if I'm not ready to go back to work because I'm not fully recovered and feeling well on top of the meds and its bad side effects can i extend the leave by tell my doctor to extend it cause I'm not ready yet

Thank you for that additional information.

As far as extending your disability until you feel emotionally and mentally ready to go back to work this may not be something that your cardiologist or primary doctor can do. You would most likely need to be evaluated by a psychiatrist to get an extension of your disability for these sorts of things.

Of course, as far as your lack of physical readiness to return to work, this is something that your primary care MD or cardiologist (for heart related reasons) can do for you.

Another option to get more disability time would be to hire an attorney experienced in these sorts of cases so she can present your issues to the State and your employer on your behalf.

It is good that your cardiologist seems to agree that you need more time as your heart issues are very serious and medication interactions still seem to be a problem.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS