abray1115
abray1115, Physician
Experience:  Primary care with particular interest in cardiology problems and prevention. Work closely with cardiologist colleagues.
13781349

Do you need blood tests to start blood pressure meds?

Customer Question

do you need blood tests to start blood pressure meds ?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  abray1115 replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

A blood pressure medication may be started without any blood work potentially. It is mainly going to be determined as to your baseline blood pressure ...if average BP is above 135/85 ( seated / resting and Best to include outside doctor's office readings ) in doctors office a single mildly elevated reading such as 140 / 90 alone should not trigger a start of treatment

It is best and more thourough to include some blood work to look in particular at renal function ( BUN/ creatinine ) and electrolytes --- sodium, potassium , calcium , bicarbonate , chloride....

You will see some varied approaches that may include more early blood work in some cases but it is not the first priority ...

Using a diuretic would be more an indication to get baseline labs ...

Very high blood pressure would be more likely to prompt more extensive work up ...

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if I may be of further help.I will be happy to get back with you If my answer has been helpful to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD