Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

I did a blood test a week ago. The results were that my LDL

Customer Question

I did a blood test for cholesterol a week ago. The results were that my LDL was 177 and my HDL was 50. It said that that my total cholesterol was 250 but that doesn't add up. Is this cholesterol make up unhealthy? I need to eat 200-240 grams of protein
per day because I'm an athlete who lifts weights 5 days per week.. So any recommendation for how to change my intake to fix my cholesterol needs to take that into account. I've heard that you want your HDL higher than your LDL. What could i eat that would
do this? My diet is mainly chicken, multigrain bread, kraft macaroni and cheese, peanuts and sunflower seeds, whey protein powder, water, orange juice, usually some chocolate before bed (almond joy), cottage cheese, and I have oatmeal every other day. I also
eat hamburger every other day too.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 11 months ago.

that is too much red meat for one.

do you do cardio?

Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question, Your LDL is still not in the medical treatment range, you only need to cut down your cheese and chocolate intake. Protein intake should also be lowered to half of what you are taking. Let me know if you have questions, I have fellowship in cardiology and lipidology. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand why to reduce the cheese and chocolate but what is the detriment of eating 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight? Its very widely recommended to eat 1g/lb of bodyweight when you lift weights 5 days per week. Very reputable strength coaches recommend this. And when I've only eaten half the amount of protein I usually do I'm very hungry for it.For the average person I understand that that much protein would be bad since they can't use it. But for someone who does the major lifts very heavy (deadlift, squat, bench press) multiple times per week they need that much protein.

Thank you for your reply, it is very true if the meat you eat is all protein, in truth it has a lot of fat around 20% of meat is fat, this is only reason to cut down the meat or protein intake. If you are taking it like in form of supplement then it can be taken as it does not has 20% fat contents. Let me know if you have questions, thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks for explaining ... the other part I'm still wondering about however: should I be aiming to raise my hdl and if I should, then what should I eat to do this?

Thank you for your reply, olive oil is best to help increase the HDL, but you should know that all recent trial have shown no benefit of raising the HDL levels. Let me know if you have questions. Do rate my reply as positive if no further questions, thank you.