Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

My father had a stent put in s thigh on Nov 2, 2015 and is

Customer Question

Hi, my father had a stent put in his thigh on Nov 2, 2015 and is now on Plavix. He was also having shoulder issues (a tear in both) and is supposed to have surgery later this month. What is the recommendation on Plavix and surgery? The Orthopedic said
that if his family doctor clears him he can have surgery but they have not had him talk to the vascular doctor. He is in severe pain from the shoulders but obviously we want to do what's best for his health.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

I would wait on the shoulders.

If he can go 3 months for a bare metal stent or 1 year for a drug eluting stent, he can safely go off plavix.

In fairness to the family doctor, he shouldn't clear him for surgery. It is up to the surgeon to decide if he wants to perform surgery on plavix. I wouldn't risk it when he can wait a few months

Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, this stent is placed in the thigh ? these are low risk stents with less chances of blockage, he can easily undergo surgery with single anti platelet after 6 months of his stent placement.

You can also check the link for stent placement and surgery on the following web link.

http://my.americanheart.org/professional/StatementsGuidelines/ByTopic/TopicsA-C/ACCAHA-Joint-Guidelines_UCM_321694_Article.jsp#.VmG1A2CjLdk

I disagree.

It depends on the type of stent

What did you disagree, i place these stents on daily basis... with due respect. ...... stents in femoral are large and have lesser chances of getting clots. so you cannot compare them with coronary stents. Unfortunately stents in the femoral are of only few types so risk is almost same whether DES or BMS. Only with DES DAPT needs 6 months least. I hope this answers your questions.