Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  I am a certified critical care specialist with experience of working in cardiology for over 2 years including CCU and CSICU
22950887

Should I take amlodipine besylate 10mg and lisinopril 40 mg

Customer Question

Should I take amlodipine besylate 10mg and lisinopril 40 mg one per day for high blood pressure which is over 150/106? The doctor prescribed to me when I visited her and before I used to take one pill a day of one of the above. Please help. I'm confused.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your problems with high blood pressure.

Well the simple answer to this question, is that you CAN take both of these medications, amlodipine and lisinopril in a single day, although it would be wise to space out both the drugs. The only problem is the dose of lisinopril, this is a VERY HIGH dose of the drug. Usually it is started at 5 mg once a day and built up to 10 mg a day. 40 mg a day is the maximum dose of the drug which can be taken at a single time, but I would like to know if you have been on a lower dose of lisinopril before. Also it is possible that your doctor advised you to take both of these drugs in a single day because of poor control with the previous dosage you were on.

Secondly, taking both of these drugs at the same time can lower your BP all of a sudden to a dangerously low level, that's why both of these drugs can be spaced out. Usually lisinopril is given in the daytime while amlodipine can be used at night. Your current blood pressure is certainly high, but i would STRONGLY advise you to reconfirm with your doctor whether this is the dose which she advised. Especially lisinopril.

Lastly, if your BP remains high throughout the day and has remained so for the past several weeks or days then you can take both of the drugs in a single day. But again i would ask you to reconfirm the doses of the drugs and also reconfirm the time at which both of these drugs are to be taken. I think your doctor would have advised you to take one of these in the morning and one in the evening.

So to summarize, If your doctor has prescribed you these drugs (after looking at your BP recordings for the past month or couple of weeks) then you can take these drugs in a single day BUT ONLY AFTER reconfirming with your doctor the dose of lisinopril.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.