Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I used to be extremely overweight my ghest weight ever was

Customer Question

I used to be extremely overweight my highest weight ever was 256 pounds in 2011 but since I got into the field of Exercise Science to become a Personal Trainer today I am down to 139 pound because I am exercising a lot more and at harder intensity than
in the past. I have been doing this type of exercising for at least 2 and a half years I do at least an hour of vigorous intense cardio everyday for those past years. Would you have any reason or answer to why when I workout it takes a long time for my heart
rate to get back down to normal level. About two weeks ago I was admitted to the hospital of observation for chest pain because of my age since I am 41 years old and they didn't know if it was a heart attack. It turns out the hospital diagnosed me with Spontaneous
Pneumothorax, then last Thursday I saw my regular doctor for a follow up for that and he did a chest X-Ray and Chest CT Scan and my regular doctor called me back and said both of those showed no signs of a Pneumothorax. So what is your thought and reason as
to why my heart rate takes a long time to come back down to normal. Like yesterday I was doing the treadmill at lighter intensity because my doctor said I could resume exercise but not at a high intensity, before I would do a high incline and start at speed
of 3.4 on treadmill and increase both everyb10 minutes. Yesterday I did started out at speed 3.0 for 10 minutes, the. 3.1 for 10 minutes then 3.2 for 10 minutes and 3.3 for 10 minutes my heart rate got up near 130-140 at max, then after that last 10 minutes
decreased speed to 2.5 for 10 minutes my heart rate dropped or stayed at about 130 then dropped speed to 2.0 for 5 minutes still stayed at 130 then dropped speed to 1.5 for last 5 minutes for the hour long cardio and heart rate would go between 125-130.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hyoothyroidism but I think my doctor uses the term now clinical hyperthyroidism since lately with the weight loss I have been doing one of my thyroid test always comes back very low which indicates too much thyroid medication in my body. So on 9/30/15 he just reduced my thyroid medication dosage from .0150 to .0137

That could absolutely explain it

if your thyroid is even a little high that will cause a sustained HR elevation

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

If you have more questions, just reply.