Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

Have you operated on the heart and have seen damaged hearts

Customer Question

Have you operated on the heart and have seen damaged hearts first hand? I ask this first
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

I have not myself. But I have seen damaged hearts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can elaborate a little on what you said earlier that a hard handball player that plays with cocaine also is more at risk for spasm if he plays when completely void of the chemical? (I guess because his body is used to it the other way...is that what you said...do you need me to cut and paste.... i know there are no 100% sure answers here...

No. I meant you are MORE at risk while playing on cocaine. The arteries of the heart are more likely to spasm when you are exerting yourself

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you wrote this....07 September 2015 08:09
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
CardiologistNone at all. I wouldn't recommend any more cocaine. This can trigger spasm of the coronary arteries.Especially no cocaine with exertionOtherwise, you should be fineI thought you meant no cocaine with exertion...in other words if you have cocaine and exert...lol wow but theopposite is true.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is if a heart doctor has seen cocaine heart attack victims from people with undamaged hearts

Yes, perhaps I worded that poorly

Absolutely YES! Cocaine can cause a heart attack

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. If you have more questions, just reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cocaine can cause a heart attack. Thanks let me elaborate. from all of the cocaine induced heart attacks that result in death, what percent of the hearts are not damaged much (short time users, social users) and what percent are from damaged long time user hearts....?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
responding yes cocaine can cause a heart attack is not answering my question nor informing me of something I did not know. don't take that as being snippy, but how else can I respond to that response lol

No problem. I think what you are getting at is what are your real world chances, if your heart is normal, of having a cocaine induced cardiac death?

The issue here is that cocaine doesn't kill people by typical means. So even if the heart is not damaged it can cause death through arrhythmias and spasm of coronaries.

That being said, the risk is still low. Think of all the people that use cocaine and don't drop dead. It is a small percent overall. Less than 5% probably

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was awake for 48 hours and was doing cocaine on and off the entire time. I was iv small amounts and then sitting in an easy chair with my blood pressure machine and stethoscope. Please don't ask why cause I don't know why. I am also on pain killers...which I take in between. my BP was jumping from 200/100 down to 140 over 78 and bpm were from 75 to 135. there were times when the bpm were 78 and pressure was up high and times when bpm was 135 and pressure was low. I know the advice is get help, but how strong is the heart that it can deal with this. just how dangerous is this on a scale from one to 10 with a little explanation besides the obvious...

I would ask for a positive rating first and accepting additional services.

I have provided a great deal of information so far. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I meant you are MORE at risk while playing on cocaine. The arteries of the heart are more likely to spasm when you are exerting yourselfAbsolutely YES! Cocaine can cause a heart attackThe issue here is that cocaine doesn't kill people by typical means. So even if the heart is not damaged it can cause death through arrhythmias and spasm of coronaries.The above is not what I call a great deal of information. the last response was headed in the right direction. but telling me cocaine can cause a heart attack and cocaine during sports will raise the chances is not what was asking...i am asking specifically about cocaine induced heart attacks on healthy hearts...death rate? damage done..? now I know heart attacks on already damaged long term cocaine users aer the majority and have different damage and chances of death but what about on healthy hearts..let me be more specific. out of a 100 heart attack victims ages 20-50 which were due to cocaine, how many die v live and what type of damage is generally incurred. Believe me I want to only give you an excellent rating

I can opt out for another expert. Hold tight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't want to have to think a little.....yes cocaine can cause a heart attack...and leaving your response like that, not reading into the question at all...medical makes us not want to think ever again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bad joke..but seriously..a little effort
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i didn't want another...i tell you the story and you chicken out...great...