Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  I am a certified critical care specialist with experience of working in cardiology for over 2 years including CCU and CSICU
22950887

I am currently seeing a cardiologist doctor but have not had

Customer Question

I am currently seeing a cardiologist doctor but have not had any test yet. I have high blood pressure and I have been having some palpitations and flutters of my heart. Is this serious and what could be the cause? I have also been extremely tried during the day. At times, I have had some chest tightening but it hasn't lasted a long time and if comes and goes.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Im very sorry to hear about your condition, i have a few questions before i can be better able to answer your question. Can you tell me do you have any other medical conditions such as diabetes? Have you ever been tested for thyroid issues? Apart from the palpitations have you had any other symptoms such as fever, shortness of breath or weight loss etc?

I see that you are currently offline, i will leave an initial answer here which you can read at your leisure and then we can discuss it later once you come online.

The first thing that comes to mind after looking at your symptoms is that you could have an abnormal rhythm of the heart. This is known as a cardiac arrhythmia. The palpitations are one of the features of the arrhythmia. Now arrhythmias are f various types, ranging from atrial fibrillation to serious life threatening ones such as ventricular tachycardia. It is difficult to say which one you might have without a EKG to determine it. It is very common to have atrial fibrillation, this is one of the commonest arrhythmias however it can only be diagnosed after a clinical examination and a EKG.

Arrhythmias can have serious consequences, in long standing arrhythmias you can develop clots in the heart which can lead to serious complications such as strokes. In addition arrhythmias can also cause sudden cardiac arrests. At the same time many arrhythmias do remain benign such as an occasional extra beat as in premature ventricular contractions. Now coming to your other symptoms such as chest tightening, this can be due to the arrhythmias itself or it can be due to other cardiac issues such as ischemic heart disease. The arrhythmias themselves can also be related to the ischemic heart diseae, this can occur due to clogged arteries.

In addition i would also like to look at your heart valaves because in many young patients, a faulty heart valve can cause all of these symptoms.

Lastly as i asked in the additional information i would also like to get your thyroid function test done as well whioch can cause the tiredness, abnormal heart rhythm a swell as the shortness of breath and the chest pains. Increased thyroid function is associated with all these symptoms.

My recommendation would be to keep seeing your cardiologist and get the following tests done, EKG, Echocardiogram (to look at the heart structure and function), Holter monitor (to monitor your heart rhythm for 24 hours) and then proceed from there.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated J. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.