Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

My husband, aGe 70, healthy non smoker with "very clean"

Customer Question

My husband, aGe 70, healthy non smoker with "very clean" heart cath is scheduled for a "Davied procedure" valve sparing aorta replacement due to large sized aorta on August 17. What can we expect in terms of his condition after release from hospital. Does
he need a lift chair. Can he sleep on his side? He has issues of frequent urination old age. But is not on any medication for it currently. Should he start it now.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  drn.iqtidar replied 1 year ago.
HiI am Dr.Iqtidar one of the experts on justanswer.com. It looks like your requested expert is not available to answer your question.David's procedure is a good procedure and has a quick recovery time and also reduces the need for anticoagulant therapy. Your husband should avoid heavy weight lifting and doing heavy work. He can do light walking and light chores around the house if he feels like it. Mobility is usually encourages postoperatively as being immobile increases risk of other postoperative complications. Stair lift is only required if he has arthritis and is suffering from mobility issues due to joints. It is not indicates after this surgery. Usually people make speedy recovery after the surgery and risk of complications is low.With regards ***** ***** position Usually lying on the side causes problems in people where valve is replaced as metallic valve clicking causes sleep disturbances and nightmares or even palpitations. However after this procedure these type of side effects don't occur as heart valve is still there just repaired and reimplanted so it functions like it normally would so I don't think your husband needs to take any precaution except avoiding activities that cause discomfort or breathlessness. For frequent urination treatment would depend on the cause. Diabetes or prostate hypertrophy can cause frequent urination. This should be evaluated and treatment can then be started. I hope this answer helps. If you are satisfied with my answer please leave me a positive rating. I wish all the best for your husbands surgery. Regards,Dr.Iqtidar.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer. I was referring to a lift chair as I have recently had a hernia operation and cannot help him out of bed. Can patients do that independently when they come home from the hospital. They are expecting 5 days