How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vakul Aren Your Own Question
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Category: Cardiology
Satisfied Customers: 3956
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
Type Your Cardiology Question Here...
Vakul Aren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 57 y/o fiance' had blood work

Customer Question

.my 57 y/o fiance' had blood work done for a cardiology consult for "skipped" heart beats. He had an annual physical last September and the numbers are virtually unchanged - but it does show he is anemic. RBC just above 4.10 (last
Sept. 4.16), his hemoglobin is 12.8 and hematocrit just below normal as well. He had lost over 80 lbs. in 2013. I'm sure the cardiologist will discuss the anemia, but what should we know or try to do in the meantime? Thank you!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cardiology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any internal med doc please
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.About 2% of males suffer from Iron deficiency anaemia in the US.Other causes would include a variety of chronic anaemias associated with chronic diseases ,thallaesaemia,sideroblastic anaemias,anaemia due to blood loss due to gastritis/peptic ulcer/gastric erosion and lastly a endoscopic evaluation if there is occult blood in the stools.Serum ferritin is the preferrred investigation,other tests would include transferritin saturation,total iron binding capacity,serum iron,serum transferritin receptor levels and ruling out renal and hepatic diseases which may cause anaemias.Checking for oral iron malabsorption,evaluating for chronic blood loss and colonoscopy may also be considered. A trial of oral iron may help,a bone marrow biopsy may help if no other cause is found.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other tests they can run for iron absorption? Thank you!
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
A test for iron absorption would be to use sodium ferrous citrate(CFS) orally ,the increment in serum iron and %serum transferrin after 120 minutes of oral administration of SFC would help differentiate iron deficiency from healthy patients.Rulng out Intrinsic factor deficiency,deficency of folic acid and vitamin B12,malabsorption by a colonoscopy would help if required.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'd gotten advice from another doctor as well.
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome,please leave a positive rating.Thank you.