Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

I have been taking atenolol about total of 50mg to 100mg

Customer Question

Hello. I have been taking atenolol about total of 50mg to 100mg weekly Usually 25 mg at a time 2-3 times a week. I have been taking it for "stage fright". It worked very well. But recently the days following atenolol I started getting palpitations. I have since stopped atenolol for about 1 week. However I get fairly frequent skipped heart beat sensation, followed by a forceful contraction. I also get a 2-3 second pause between heart beats pretty regularly thru out the day. I don't feel any other symptom other than a general feeling of being tired. I still run and exercise without any problem at all. But the feeling of skipped beats and pauses is bothering me. I hope I did not do any permanent damage by taking atenolol (30 tabs of 50mg lasted me from jan til June.).
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, You need ECG and holter test to make sure there is no permanent damage to the heart conduction system.Let me know if you have questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does stopping the beta blocker generally make the symptoms go away?
Well, first we need to make sure what is causing these symptoms,Low heart rate, PVCs and PACs can also cause these symptoms. and we cannot know them without ECG and holter test.So first step is to know what is causing it and then we can tell whether it is permanent or just temporary due to medicine.
Do you have questions ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My hr is normal rate. I just have episodic skipped beat and pause sensation. Hopefully all transient. I will be seeing my gp soon. Overall does this sound transient. ?
as you were taking high dose of atenolol so it is very much possible that it is a transient effect.
This can only be ascertained with help of ECG and holter test.Also echocardiogram to see the heart function.
Let me know if you have questions, thank you.Do rate as positive if no further questions,