Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

Six years ago I was treated Osteosarcoma and one of

Customer Question

Six years ago I was treated for an Osteosarcoma and one of the drugs in my chemotherapy regime was doxorubicin, which had an adverse effect on my heart. I was given an ecocardigram between bouts of chemotherapy and one at the end of my treatment, which showed that although there had been an impact, it was not severe enough to warrant action.
Since then, I have found my heart rate to be above average for resting and exercising and am looking for some advice about a) whether, 6 years later, this could still be linked to the doxorubicin and b) (regardless of the answer to a) if/ how I need to manage this during exercise.
During exercise, my heart rate can quickly rise to 175-180bpm. I am a 29 yo female, so taking the rule of thumb that maximum heart rate = 220-age, this is close to maximum. However, I can comfortably sustain cardio exercise at 175-180bpm for 30 minutes plus, without execess sweating, fatigue, or a huge impact on breathing. My partner (male 31 of reasonable health and fitness), however, would struggle to sustain exercise at this rate for this long, and cardio trains at around 155-160bpm, seemingly with more effect.
Please help,
Rachel White, UK
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** i have fellowship in field of cardiology and will try to assist you.
With such good exercise tolerance you should not have an issue with possible heart damage. Even if it is there it is very mild.
Sustaining this much heart rate for 30 minutes means you are super fit.
Let me know if you have questions .
I am fellowship trained in cardiology and can help with all cardiac issues.