Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

Recently I have noticed my pulse rate to be in the 58-59 range.

Recently I have noticed my pulse rate to be in the 58-59 range. I am 5'11 175 fairly fit but have not exercised on a schedule in over a year. I smoke less than a pack of cigarettes day. The only exercise I have been getting is walking to and from class round trip of a mile or so four days a week. I a 44 year old male. My normal pulse rate would be in the 70's. Usually, I am tired from lack of sleep when I get the 58-low 60 pulse rate. I have been taking a low dose of paxil 5mg due to anxiety but I think I noticed the pulse rate before taking this medicine and it has been two days since I have taken a dose as I am feeling better. I notice I feel tired and have difficulty concentrating more so than not during this time. In the past year I have had a few ekg's at the ER due to anxiety I was told and I even had a stress test where they measured my heart and checked the valves? Which all was normal. I can perform physical exercise such as mowing grass with relative ease. I guess I am worried why my pulse could be so low compared to my usual 70 bpm or so and compared to it being high 105 or so after something as simple as a shower. Thank You
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr .Saeed ahmed replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Do you get dizzy? blackout ? easily get short of breath on mild activity ?

What is your blood pressure like ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
BP readings are usually in the normal range. Sometimes 99/65 or 130/85 but according to machine avg is 110/69.

Everything I have been feeling has been related to anxiety per my family physician. I have had dizzy spells never blacked out. I sometimes get short of breath easily but then again I can take long walks or cut grass easily and at a steady pace for an hour or so.

Thank you for your reply,

It seems that your blood pressure is good and you can do adequate amount of activity without symptoms.
At this point i would say that you do not need any treatment for this low heart rate and only observation.
If you do get dizzy or have blackouts then you need is holter monitoring to see the heart rate as it may be going more slower then you may have calculated and may need treatment.
So at this point it depends on your symptoms and blood pressure which warrants further investigation.
Causes of this slow heart rate can be many ranging from ischemic heart disease, sick sinus syndrome, medicine to athletic heart rate.

So if you have symptoms then you need further tests.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Click ACCEPT if you have received your answer, thank you.