Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

Have a 2011 cayenne turbo. When I started it tonight, the

Have a 2011 cayenne turbo. When I started it tonight, the engine light stayed red and read partial engine. Car shook in park and smelled gas. I put it on gear briefly but parked it immediately
JA: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: No, I will tow it to ***** ***** Porsche on Monday I suppose.
JA: Are you fixing your Cayenne Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Assuming it's a fuel pump. It's got 87k miles and I replaced the ignition coal 3 months ago. Planning on having the dealer fix it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope. That should be a good start.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. It sounds like the vehicle has started skipping cylinders, which means that it is misfiring, probably due to faulty spark plugs, or coils? This could also be do to the cam or crank sensor(s) not functioning properly. Just a moment, please. In the meantime, when was your last tune-up?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Earlier this spring and I had the ignition coil replaced. Drove it today for 75 miles. You don't think it's the fuel pump?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Drove it prior to the engine light...under the red engine block light which is large it says partial engine.

The fuel pump could definitely be the cause. If that is the case, then the pressure will need to be tested. Here is some general information for you vehicle on misfiring. Also, the partial engine sign is just saying that the vehicle is not firing as it should.(which could be due to low fuel pressure also).

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
For a Porsche Cayenne turbo from 2011 with 87k mileage, what are common trouble spots with this indicator? Also I smell fuel in my garage after turning the ignition.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can I drive this car to the dealer Monday or should I tow it?

Ultimately, you will have to have to vehicle scanned first. The code that is given will point the techs in the proper direction to begin diagnosis. Although, I am assuming the issue to be misfiring due to low fuel, a faulty cam or crank sensor, or plugs/coils. Once the dealer scans the vehicle, they will know the problematic area.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How do I scan it for a code? Not convinced my dealer will make a house call.

The fuel smell is due to improper combustion(misfire). The fuel is not being burned. You will need an OBD 2 scan tool in order to check for codes. You can also take the car to Autozone(if the vehicle is driveable) and they will scan the codes for free.

You can purchase and inexpensive scan tool for around $40.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. Much appreciated. Where do I connect the scan tool? The car is drivable but shaking. If it's the drive train I do not want to create a bigger problem.

I don't know how bad the issue is, or what the issue is, so I can't honestly say that the vehicle is safe to drive.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Fair point. Where do I connect the scan tool?

The scan tool connection is located under the dash on the drivers side.

This is just general location information to help you find it.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed

Thank you for the rating.