Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Before I start chat, will I need to pay for answers? How

Before I start chat, will I need to pay for answers?
JA: You end up paying for the answer if you are satisfied with it.
Customer: How much?
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Chrysler. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: Got a 2012 Town and Country that suddenly won't start. Clicks during ignition. Tried jumping and disconnecting battery.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sometimes, the uconnect screen requests a security code. Sometimes not. Sometimes the red dot of death is on the dash. Sometimes not.

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch / pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch / starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
K Will try that.

understood

just get back to me on this post

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Battery checks out fine. Swapped starter relays and starter fuse. All fine. It appears to be either a computer issue or a grounding issue. Both of which are beyond my ability to deal with. Vehicle has been towed to the dealer's service dept. I guess if I remember, I'll let you know what the techs come back with.

Understood

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you