david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have a 2005 sebring 2.7 rag top. The car has 62K miles.

I have a 2005 sebring 2.7 rag top. The car has 62K miles. Engine runs quiet and smooth. The car will over heat. Have confirmed block and etc are all fine doing a pressure test.Replaced thermostat Still over heatsCar ideals and will over heat when warmed up. Turn on heat high and runs in middle of gage but car is hot and both fans are running hard on the radiator.Driving on the highway around 65mph the car will heat up real fast even with the heat on high. Shut down, keep heat on and re-start min later the car will cool enough to get you home.Driving backroads it appears to not overheat as fast maybe because of speed.I think it comes down too the radiator or water pump. I am leaning toward the radiator.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: yes and no leaks
JA: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: thermostate
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. first things first is making sure the system is full and has been bled of any air trapped inside.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
both completed

ok. with the car operating at temp. are the upper and lower hoses EQUALLY hot?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

are there any debris block airflow flow in front of the condenser?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Free and clear

do a scan of the radiator with a digital temp gun and look for any cool spots

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I don't have a temp gun to check for a cool spot. I am a guy working in his driveway trying to fix his car. Tools like you sugest are not a tool most car owners do not own.

then do a flow test on the radiator. tale both hoses off and get a garden hose and as much water you put in the top of the radiator, the same volume and flow should come out the bottom of the radiator

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Place a hose in the top hose location and the flow should be a steady flow? If it is the radiator should be fine correct?If it is a slow flow it should be replaced?

is should flow as good as its going in. and as fast and as much

if its not then replace your radiator, there is blockage

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
If the flow is good is the water pump should be checked? Since it's attached to the timming chain is there anyway to check it before digging that deep into that repair?

please standby

ok before getting to the water pump, and be very careful trying this. after the engine has been running for a few, shut it off and remove the radiator cap or pressurized reservoir cap. if you able able to remove it without any pressure escaping, the the cap is bad.

hows it going?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I just ran the car until it reached just over the middle of the gauge. Removed the cap and the water came gushing out. Howerer I was wrong about the bottom hose. The top nose is extremely hot and the bottom was cool to the touch.

ok, replace the waterpump

do you need the procedure?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Messing with the water pump I am told is a big job. Do you have any idea what it will cost?

i can give you the labor hours and the shop price of the part. as far as the labor rate. all shops are different

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
For a shop to repair
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
That would be very helpful.

ok, please allow me a few minutes

labor hours

i would recommending having the timing chain set replaced also., same labor time and that includes an extra .2 hours for the water pump

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
OK. You live near by? This is going to be probably 1/2 or more the cars value

I live in pittsburgh and would gladly take the job on.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
In MASS. Thanks

sorry but that road trio would be a bit far.........please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed.