Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

My engine has a knocking sound. It began while I was

my engine has a knocking sound. It began while I was driving. I checked oil level and it was empty. I filled it, however the sound is worse
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: it started today , it sounds like its coming from the engine block. If I [ush on the gas it gets louder.
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: 2014 Optima Ex
JA: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just topped the oil. not comfortable doing the car work on engine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: check engine light came on two days earlier

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

the engine ran out or so low on oil the crank shaft bearings where run dry and there are bearing failures which are causing this noise

do NOT drive it have it towed to a shop for them to see if they can fix the issue inside the engine or replace the engine i am sorry to say

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
whats the average cost of having the repair? ? replace the engine ?

if the crankshaft is damaged its best to install a used engine which you can pick up for @ 800 to 1200 range plus labor then have it installed

the engine was damaged internally for low to no oil and it being run that way