Merlin Beerens
Merlin Beerens, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technician at Toyota Dealership
97954855

2000 RX300 replaced Alternator & battery. Started car, but

2000 RX300 replaced Alternator & battery. Started car, but no electrical nothing on the inside (windows, dash, radio, seats) and it will not go in drive.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Under hood or dash? a fuse will cause it not to go in gear?
JA: What is the model of your '00 Lexus?
Customer: RX300
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, new alternator, new battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. yes a fuse will cause it to not go into gear. let me get you a diagram of some fuses to check. please allow me a few minutes.

please check these highlighted fuses.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
gotta my fuse checker. Headed to go check these. Be back

ok

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I checked all fuses under the hood. all are working

ok. standby

check the 2 i have highlighted on the inside panel please

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I checked them all and they all have power. Didn't check bottom 2 (30 & 40)

please check them. they are very important

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok. let me go get them out.

ok

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
both are good

ok, then its looking like a direct hit to the pcm

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yeah, I checked all of them on the inside fuse box.

aqs far as a fuse. ill look at some control fuses and relays for the pcm

im going to open this up for others. to chime in. good luck

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
others, as in Lexus Mechanics?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
no more suggestions?

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I would like to try helping you with your problem today, can you please tell me if your brake lights work?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
nope.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
After going back and rechecking all the fuses again I discovered that the Alt Fuse is blown... smh.. I am assuming the 140A fuse is bolted in, I attempted to take off the fuse box... but there must be 2 housing units, I need to now how to get the inside housing fuse box out of the outer one. I got the 10mm screws out so far and released about 5 plastic clamps.
Ohh. I did do a test on the alternator and it was not putting out barley anything (new alternator), which made me go back and check the fuses again. Can you assist with how to get the 140A fuse out?

Basically what you see in front of you is what you need to do, removing the 10mm bolts to free up the fuse box was the right first step, and just going around the entire fuse box gently with a small screwdriver releasing all of the small tabs is next right step which is sounds like you have already done. Yes, the fuse is bolted in from underneath, and this isn't an easy job to get to, just take your time, and obviously make sure the battery is disconnected. Maybe send me some detailed pics of what you are looking at and I can try to help guide you, I have replaced many of these ALT fuses, it's just different on every vehicle.

Are you able to see any release tabs in the areas I've highlighted?

I found this link, maybe it is of some help?

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/94116-hello-newbie-first-prob-solved/

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok. Thanks Merlin. I am going to finish attempting this afternoon when I get home. I will let you know how it goes, if not well, then I will send you pics. Thanks... Talk soon
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hello. The link you sent is different than my fuse box. I still cant figure out how to get the inner fuse box out of the outer one in order to get to the bolts on the alt fuse. Here are pics of my fuse box.
Are you able to send me a couple of the sides of the fuse box? Are there little plastic tabs along the outside perimeter of the box?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
sure. Give me a 4 mins
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OMG... I figured it out. I am finally in business!!! I put small screwdriver in the small slot opposite end of the ALT fuse and pushed down on the fuse container and it popped out (downward). I got fuse changed.... Thanks for all of your assistance!!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I should do a YouTube video on it because there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO on this model / Yr that I foundfor changing the ALT fuse!! lol. Take Care Merlin

Hey that's great to hear, good job, please don't forget to rate my service, and if you have anymore question's regarding this issue, please don't hesitate to ask, have a good evening.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
will do

Great! thanks

Merlin Beerens, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Technician at Toyota Dealership