Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

06 dodge charger brakes vacuum locking after power brake

06 dodge charger brakes vacuum locking after power brake booster change
JA: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: 102k. brakes system, not pads obviously. No stability control
JA: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New brake booster, brakes bled twice
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Booster is a remanufactured one.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

will it just lock the front or just the rear brakes ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure...was driving it and stopped in a parking lot. Definitely the front. Didn't jack up the rear. If you pull the vacuum line off they release.

the odds are the booster rod is a bit too long keeping the front brakes locked

was the booster rod adjustable at all ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, it's not adjustable at all as far as I can see. Another mechanic friend said the master cylinder may be bad.

it could very well be

but if it was NOT doing this before the booster was replaced then the booster is defective of the master is bad

usually most people will slide the master cylinder off and add 2 flat washers to the booster studs then see if the problem goes away it it doesn't the master is bad if it does go away leave the washers or swap out another booster

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hmm... ok. The booster is holding vacuum like is supposed to though. I already thought of the shim idea but it's for a friend's mom.

the shim will not hurt anything

without your foot on the brake the booster should not be pushing the master at all and if you unplug the vacuum hose and the brakes release then the rod is too long or the booster is defective

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
plus it looks like it will leak vacuum if I shim it

no the vacuum is sealed inside the booster nothing will leak

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can I tell if it's pushing on it or not?

if you shim it and it stops doing this then the booster is the issue

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is this something you've experienced in the past with a Charger? Like I said it's a reman booster.

i have had issues with GM Dodge and Ford aftermarket or remand boosters and went to using OEM boosters and these problems went away

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Thank you for the recommendations.

anytime