david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I'm having overheating issues with my 2009 is350. I've had

I'm having overheating issues with my 2009 is350. I've had waterpump replaced thinking that would fix the issue. Not even a month later it started to overheat again. I took to the same mechanic that change the waterpump. They said they had a hard time trying to diagnosis the car. They everything from changing the radiator to replacing the the cap, thinking it wasn't holding the pressure. They finally did the head gasket test. From the test he said I have a blown head gasket. He quoted me it would cost to 4-5k to fix that includes ordering the parts and to machine the heads. Also because he has to lift the engine it's making it cost more. If he didn't have to lift it wouldn't be that much more. My question is the quote about right for them to repair my engine? Also I live in Hawaii not sure if that make a diffence on the quote being that price.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. please allow me a few minutes to pull up some information for you to see if they are in the ballpark. thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks

ok. labor hours for the headgaskets is right around 17-22 hours.

the price for the head work and the labor cost to replace the head gaskets, I cant tell you that information as every shops labor rates are different. here in Pa. it ranges between 70.00 -110.00 per hour.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He said the labor would run 2600. Plus they would have to lift out the engine. Would lifting out the engine make a significant change in pricing?

yes. the engine does need lifted to allow for access to the headbolts

can I help you with anything else?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's what he said about the bolts. That being said, would 4-5k seem about right for the job? Or does that seem to be high. Also would taking it to the dealer be a more feasible option.

4-5k seems very high, but you are in Hawaii and I know EVERYTHING is high there. I believe a dealer would be more. call around to some other places and get a few more quotes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did research online for quotes in Hawaii. They're quoting the same thing. I didn't call the dealer, because when I called for waterpump replacement they quoted me 850 before taxes.

oh wow. then definitely no dealer ... in my shop a water pump replacement would have been total parts and labor, 340.00

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yup. That's about it. Thanks for the help.

you're welcome. please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me. thank you. have a great weekend

thank you