sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I am having intermittent and seemingly random failures of

I am having intermittent and seemingly random failures of components within the vehicle. First, I should note that the vehicle had always been services by a Volvo dealer, until about a year ago; my schedule has been entirely too hectic to schedule an appointment with any certainty of being able to attend. I have had maintenance done at one of the national quick service locations. The Maintenance Past Due indication had been on for awhile, but I learned how to get that reset. Regardless, the sequence of events are as follows:
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2007 Volvo S80.
JA: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sequence of events. 1. Service past-due indication. 2. left low-beam out indication, and light not functioning. 3. indication and light started working magically. 4. internal cabin fan stopped working. 5. learned how to, and reset the maintenance past due notice. Cabin fan still not working. 6. Magically, cabin fan started working. 7. right low-beam out indication, and light not functioning.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: I suspect they have software "features" which encourage owners to take their cars in to the dealer. Either that, or there is some random heat or stress issues on the CEM / relays which travel from relay to relay. As an electrical and software engineer, I can believe the 1st (intentional software), can suspect the 2nd (heat / stress), but cannot accept the random migration of failures which fix themselves.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Left and Right low beam head lamps.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You have a couple different issues going on. The light working intermittently could be a module issue but that would be very unlikely. It's almost surely a bulb or wiring/connection issue. The first thing that should be inspected or replaced is the bulb. It isn't uncommon for a bulb filament to break and make intermittent contact.

If the bulb can be ruled out then deeper electrical testing will need to be done at the time the bulb isn't lighting.

The blower motor issue may be several things including the motor, wiring and connections, the power module, and control head. Most likely the issue is with the motor itself or poor connections due to overheat. The first thing that should be done is check the blower motor connection and if ok then power and ground will need to be tested at the motor.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I really don't expect it to be a bulb issue, as the failure moves from left to right lamp. Outside temperature has been relatively stable, as stable as Oregon can be in Spring. To have the dash "idiot light" for "low beam" to appear, and to have the left low beam lamp be out and magically repair itself, then to have the same "low beam" appear and the right low beam lamp be out, and in between have the cabin blower go out for a period of time and magically fix itself, and when I examine the bulbs I see nothing wrong with them, I expect the right lamp will "fix itself" within 200 miles or 10 days (whichever comes first), which seems to be the duration of these intermittent "failures". Can it be said, with certainty, that Volvo software does not have features such as rolling failures to encourage owners to take their cars in to a Volvo mechanic when maintenance is past due? The succession of intermittent failures (and automatic repairs) is far too much of a coincidence.

I misread your first post and that it was the same light that was coming and going. Regardless, bulbs, wiring and connections are the most likely causes.

There is absolutely not any software in place that is intentionally causing these problems.