Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 25 years experience, Ford Trans Tech/SMT, Toyota, Mitsubishi,Hyundai Tech.
285738

I am having a problem with my 2010 hyndai elantra about 3

Hi I am having a problem with my 2010 hyndai elantra about 3 mos again my check engine light went on because the cap was not on the gas cover properly and I noticed at that time my car was jumping a little when I accelerated the gas. Then finally I got a new gas cover and the light went out but the car is now running sluggish and it jumps when it slips into gear a little and even when I try to press on the gas it will stick for a few minutes and not move then it seems to move fine. Help is it my transmission the car has 115,000 miles on it. I drive a lot. Thanks

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello a loose gas cap will set a code for the evaporative emission system like a P0455 gross leak or P0442 small leeak for example. It will not have any effect on the transmission operation. So yes it sounds like a transmission issue. Verify the trans is full of fluid by checking thelevel on the dipstick and its condition. See if it is red and clean or dark black or smell badly burnt. If it is low, inspect for a trans leak and repair and recheck. If it smells burnt, you are most likely looking at a trans repair which will require further diagnosis using a scan tool to start for any trans codes stored.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok There is transmission fluid in it just got it checked it is black but it is not burnt smelling. If I get it changed do you think it will be ok. There does not seem to be any leaks?

Black isnt good, but if it is full and black, flushing most likely wont fix it but you can try. Id have a shop run a diagnostic on it before spending the money on a trans flush.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok but if there is not leak and it is black or dark brown what does that mean?

One, that the fluid has not been changed in a long time and two, there is most likely transmission slippage going on and causing the fluid to turn dark from overheating. Just changing the fluid alone wont change how the trans shifts if it is full but delayed and slipping.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok it ,
may be slipping how much am I looking at then?

Worse case with a trnsmission replacement a couple thousand bucks, used trans cheaper. If it just needs a solenoid or minor repair, much less. But more than likely will need a major repair/trans replacement eventually.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thanks maybe time to get rid of car. Ugh

Transmisison repairs arent cheap but it would be worth having it checked before giving up on the vehicle.

If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok Thanks I will go to dealer do you think I can trust them?

Yes, they will know your vehicle the best.At least get a diagnostic and quote for repairs.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok I will let them know thanks so much. I am hoping I can use the card for about 6 mos more to a year.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Should I have changed the fluid before and would this have been prevented?

You are welcome, it should have been serviced roughly every 30K miles. No way of knowing now if it would have helped or not. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.

Thank you!