sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a code p0661 on my 2013 optima. Intake manifold

Hi. I have a code p0661 on my 2013 optima.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Intake manifold tuning valve control circuit low bank-1 . Yes I tried to reset
JA: Are you fixing your Optima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have taken it to 2 shops. Both have replaced my spark plugs. The plugs are only lasting a week at most. They become built up with carbon deposits.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: My tailpipes have black sludge. The engine also will misfire.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

What engine do you have? Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's the 2.4 GDI. Naturally aspirated

This most likely means the variable intake solenoid valve has failed. At solenoid you will want to verify orange wire has good power then verify blue wire that goes from solenoid to pin 68 of ECM is good. If both are good, replace valve. Here is a picture to help you locate, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcwgxcll7kfo5qg/vat.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I take the component out? Is there any screws that need to be taken off?

Manual does not say how to remove it but there should be 2 to 4 screws holding it in place.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this piece is the solenoid?

No, that is purge solenoid. Intake solenoid valve doesn't have vacuum lines going to it and is located on/in side of intake manifold.

Nevermind, I'm wrong...I was thinking of electronic control solenoid but that is the correct part. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. So how do I go about replacing it?

Make sure orange wire has power and make sure blue wire is not shorted to ground, if both are good then replace. Just pull off hoses, disconnect connector, and install new solenoid.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I wanted to check the wires, but I'm not completely sure which ones to check. There are three connections to the right of the solenoid. Can you tell me where the wires are located?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah. Dan tried but, we still haven't solved my problem.

Have you measured the resistance of the solenoid?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, how do I do that? I have a multimeter.

Unplug the solenoid and measure the resistance across the two terminals.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think the connector to my solenoid has been broken off. I just can't find where the other connector is. It won't let me send pictures.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there are the pictures. One is the current solenoid on the car. The other is the new solenoid.

The original is definitely broken.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you know where I might find the wire that goes into the solenoid? I have been looking for a loose connection in the engine bay, but no luck.

It wasn't pluged in when you started trying to diagnose the issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I bought the car this way. There is nothing connected into the solenoid. I'm guessing the connection might be broken or ripped off. I just can't find where the connection might be located.

I can try to determine where the takeout from the harness is but I'm away from the service information until this evening.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That will work with me. I really rather not go back to the shop so fast. Already been to four of them. Thanks.

You're welcome!

The takeout from the main section of the wiring harness for this solenoid will be just above the takeout for the a/c compressor and knock sensor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. Thanks. I will look for it tomorrow morning.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got a little curious. I found this loose wire. It leads out right next to an AC line. Don't know if this is it. What do you think?

I'm unable to double check wire colors at the moment but that's the correct area it should have been, if everything else is plugged in that should be it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dan, the guy who I talked to before you said that the colors of the wires should be blue and orange. These wires are red and black. I didn't find any other loose wires. These wires look to be coming out right behind the windshield washer reservoir.

Looking at it from that direction no, that isn't correct. The takeout will be above where the knock sensor and compressor clutch wiring comes out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there any way you can show me with a picture where it should be?

I'm unable to post material directly the service information due to copyright.

Find the area where the knock sensor and compressor clutch connector leave the harness and look above there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've found the orange and blue wires. There's no connector, only the wires. Can u tell me where to find a new connector?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here's a pic of the wires. And a pic of the new solenoid
You should be able to get a used one from a junk yard, otherwise for a new one you'll want to see your dealer.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience