Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My nissan 2000 Nissan sentra when is very cold outside won't

Customer Question

My nissan 2000 Nissan sentra when is very cold outside won't start, I checked and give no codes, the battery is moving the engine but do not start
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: nothing I noticed
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It have new spark plugs and coils, oil, pvc
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Based on my experience, this happens due to low compression because the engine floods out while cranking. So when this happens, be sure to confirm there is good strong spark and then try pressing the accelerator pedal to the floor while cranking as it may just clear it up and allow it to start.

If the problem persists, I would recommend to check the injectors (and anything in the fuel systen for internal leaks) as well as the engine coolant temp sensor which can be reading incorrectly causing the engine to flood out only during extreme cold tempatures.