sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The red wire with yellow stipe on the alt plug is not

The red wire with yellow stipe on the alt plug is not getting power. I can jump power to it and everything works but I don't know where it is supposed to be coming from.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2000 Celica
JA: Are you fixing your Celica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I tested the alternator and all the fuses. I replaced the Battery
JA: Will the battery hold a charge? Do you know the fuse number?
Customer: es battery is new it has a 120ampfuse and its good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it

RED / YELLOW wire from Alternator goes to Fuse "19" located in the Inside Fuse Panel

Click Attachments Below

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok so that fuse is blown. I am going to get another. Does that control multiple items such as radio, windows and letting the car shift out of park?

Yes.....as it shows on the Fuse location of the diagram
ABS / Ignition, Warning, Fan Relay, Cruise Control ECU / Ignition

.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the fuse didn't solve the issue. I still do not get power from the red and yellow wire. I can put a jumper into the fuse block under the hood and everything except the radio and dome light will work. I can use the power windows and heat and the car will shift.

do you have a Test Light or Volt Meter (DC)?
Have you tested "both sides" of the Fuse with Key ON?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a volt meter and I have tested the 120amp fuse. It shows 12+ volts on both sides with the key off. I have not tested it with the key on

Referring to Fuse "19" 5 amp

.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there are no access points to test the fuse like with the smaller fuses. This multi fuse has a solid plastic back.

a) you can test the fuse out of Fuse Block for "continuity"
b) after removal of the Fuse, you can test the PINs of the Fuse Block for Voltage +.....should be Voltage + on ONE PIN
c) you can also slightly raise the Fuse & probe the legs of the fuse or use 2 thin (paper clip) wires to act as probes

.Fuses can "look good", but still be bad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok so there is no power to the fuse at all. Some of the other fuses have power and some do not.

Please Test Voltage + on "both sides" of Fuse "25" located in the Under Hood Fuse Block with Key ON

Click Attachment Below

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the fuse has 12 volts on both legs. still no power to the multi fuse.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I should probably call you

That is a straight Circuit to & out of those Fuses.........
I have no further info, unless the ECM is not providing a Turn On to the Voltage Regulator
I will OPT OUT & Post this to see if anyone else has more info
Please do not respond to this, as it will LOCK the question
IF someone else can help, they will Post here

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I replaced the fuse 19 and I get power to it. I do not get power to the Red and yellow wire. I replaced the body Ecu and still no power.

If there is power at the fuse but not at the alternator then you have an open circuit in the fuse box or the wire in between it and the alternator.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Since the fuse has power then does that mean I need to replace the wire that plugs into the alternator?

If the fuse has power but there is no power on the wire at the alternator then there is an open circuit in the fuse box or the wire between the box and alternator. You either need to repair or replace the wire or replace the fuse box, depending on where the failure is.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no power at the red and yellow wire in the fuse box under the hood as well
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I will do that next

The red/yellow wire you're concerned with goes from the 5a WARNING fuse to the alternator.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will

Great!

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have continuity from the red and yellow wire at the fuse box to the red and yellow at the alternator. I have continuity from the alternator red and yellow to the red and yellow under the hood in the relay box. My car will still not shift out of park and the windows don't work and many other accessories. Alternator won't charge. It tests fine?

Your initial question said that you don't have power on this wire at the alternator. You now do?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I replaced the body ECU again and it still didn't work. I tested all the wires and had continuity and in a last ditch effort I tested all the fuses in the fuse block and had a 25 amp blown. I replaced it and voila we are going good. Thanks for your help.

Great!