Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

I have a 2007 Kia Sorento with 203,000 miles. When I got in

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Kia Sorento with 203,000 miles. When I got in my car this morning, the key would not turn. I have tried 3 different keys with no luck. The wheel is in locked position. I have turned it, but no luck. The shifter is stuck in park.
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Tried 3 different keys.
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I just told you.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I have already done that.
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any WD 40 by chance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did spray it in the ignition.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, you sprayed it directly into the lock cylinder correct? and tried it and it didn't help ? correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That is correct.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, Have you tried putting a little bit of pressure on the key and move the steering wheel back and forth while holding pressure on the key, and seeing if that gets the ignition switch to turn.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have done that also.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Does it even turn to the accessory position? or it doesn't turn at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It does not turn at all.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, I would try blowing some compressed air in it, that can blow some of the small metal key shavings around some and free it back up sometimes, what happens is over time small particles of the key fall into the ignition lock cylinder as you drive and it rubs inside the lock cylinder, eventually enough of these build up to where the lock fails or the key doesn't work anymore, If you can take some compressed air and blow into the hole, that may help, or take a small hammer or screw driver handle, put the key in and physically knock it in like your trying to knock it in further than it should go, That can help as well, If none of that works, then I would recommend calling a mobile automotive locksmith in your area, He will have a lock pick set and be able to get the lock cylinder out and likely re-key a new lock cylinder to work with your existing keys. That would be the most economical solution vs. towing it to a shop or dealership. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your opinion. However, I just read that on the internet for nothing. Will not be back!
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

There is really nothing else I can give you other than those steps to try. If the lock cylinder has failed, there is really nothing else you can do but replace it unfortunately.