Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

When I went out earlier my car started just fine like it

Customer Question

When I went out earlier my car started just fine like it does. When I got back in the car it started fine. I went to the gas station to fill up an accidentally left my accessories and it wouldn't start, so I had to get jumped and then it started. I drove 3 minutes back home and turned the car off. Turned it on again just fine and then turned it off. About an hour and a half later it barely started back up. I read that the battery should regain energy after driving for a bit, so I drove for a half hour with few accessories on. The lights and everything operated just fine
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Headlights and tail lights at night
JA: What year is your Station?
Customer: 2011
JA: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

What kind of car is it?

How old is the battery?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe and it's a little over 6 years old. I had no problems until at the gas station and leaving the accessories on
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

I see, thanks. It sounds like the battery is just not holding a charge anymore. If it were with the charging system or alternator it would have drained down each time it ran.

The cold weather will always lower the CCA, (cold cranking amps) of a battery and even the best batteries only last 5 years or so.

The good thing is, most of the major parts stores will do a load test on the battery and check the output of the alternator, free of charge and even install a new battery, if that one does show to be bad.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It held a charge just fine until I left my accessories on
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

A good battery should stay charged for hours with the "accessories on" and after driving it seems that you had stated, "it barely started back up".

If it starts good every time now however there may not be a problem at all.

Thanks