Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My girlfriend stole my only key to my 2002 land rover

Customer Question

My girlfriend stole my only key to my 2002 land rover discovery 2 how do i hot wire it need help now
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: She took the key and I'm stuck in Wal- Mart parking lot
JA: Are you fixing your Discovery yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've take the cover off the steering column and trying to find out how to hot wire my rover
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to get my rover started and leave her here and never see her again please help
Category: Car
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but stealing a land rover, or any car for that matter is not nearly as easy as you might think. It's not possible to hot wire anything anymore, and even if you could just tap two wires together to get it running you would still have to contend with the shift lock and steering wheel lock.

Be cautious about pulling and poking around with wires in the steering column- you don't want to accidentally deploy the airbag in your face. It could injure you badly.

Now, all of that being said, you could break the ignition tumbler assembly and get it to turn while at the same time unlocking the steering and shift lock, but that would require you to twist the lock cylinder to the point of breaking it which would likely brake most of the column parts as well.

Is that something you would like to try?