david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

Wont start part of the time in park. starts fine in neutral

wont start part of the time in park.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: starts fine in neutral terminals are clean just intermittent when in park
JA: What is the model/year of your Subaru?
Customer: 06 leagacy
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: hope to but wanted advice on where to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi Im David, replace the transmission range selector switch.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
where is it and could it just be dirty? If I wiggle the selector it it will start most of the time but that does not help for the remote that I have installed because it gets down to ten below here.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The remote start is nice with the heated seats but not so much if I have to go out to wiggle the shifter anyway

i hear ya. the range sensor switch sits on top of the transmission or on the side of it. ill send you a pic in a little while. i have to get home hopefully. were in the middle of a bad snow storm.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hope you did fine in the storm last night. If you are driving a Subaru you should be ok. Do you access the sensor thru the console or from underneath?

i send yuo a pic right now

lots of steps

more

one more

just checking to see how its going?

please accept thee answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my help. if you need further assistance then please let me know. thank you. have a great week.

..

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Is that the only thing it could be and if so what would it cost at a subaru dealership to have it done?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I don't have a garage and it is 10degrees out!

yes, its going to be the problem unlees the wiring to it is bad.If the vehicle isnt under some kind of extended warranty, I would have a small mom and pop shop do it. i have no idea of the cost due to every shops rates are different