gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Re 2001 Eurovan MV Weekender: do you know which relays are

Customer Question

Re 2001 Eurovan MV Weekender: do you know which relays are involved with the DRLs (daytime running lights)? After installing trailer wiring, my DRLs stopped working. I tested Relay 94, and it seems to be operating correctly, but my DRLs still don't work. I un-installed the trailer wiring, but that didn't correct the problem. (The trailer wiring was working properly, I only uninstalled it to see if that would correct the DRL problem.) I'm trying to figure out if there's anything else that I could have shorted out, but don't have access to the repair manual. What else can I test to try and run down this problem? Thank you.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: It's relatively low miles for its age, I'd have to run out and check to be exact. Yes, it's been starting normally. A headlight was also replaced not that long ago, so I don't think it is that both DRLs burned out simultaneously. The other weird symptom that may or may not be related is this: after I installed the trailer wiring, I drove it around my driveway and the BRAKE indicator (e/brake indicator) came on on the dash even though the parking brake was off. I drove a few loops of the driveway, pulling the parking brake on and off and this symptom stopped -- the BRAKE indicator light again reflected the accurate position of the hand brake and it stopped beeping at me. It was at this point that I realized the DRLs had stopped working. All the lights on my Stowaway (the reason for installing the trailer hitch and wiring) worked perfectly, but I now had a DRL problem. After Googling the problem, I tested Relay 94, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
JA: Are you fixing your Eurovan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I've been doing this alone: I installed the hitch I installed the trailer wiring then the DRL symptom appeared then I tested 94 then I un-installed the trailer wiring to see if that would fix it I've also taken apart much of the dash at this point oh, and I also pulled and looked at every fuse I can find, and haven't found a blown fuse yet that's about it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess I mostly want to know what relays and/or fuses are involved with these symptoms. I would get the repair manual but it seems to require windows xp, which isn't something I have access too. The only other thing malfunctioning is the door locks: they started re-locking themselves even when a door is opened. I don't think it's related to this problem, but that will probably be the next thing I tackle. How does this work, I'm new to this
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

I show the DRL relay as being behind the instrument cluster panel and should have the #94 stamped on the top of it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Since I already tested that relay and it's operating correctly, what else could be wrong with the DRLs?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

give me moment to pull the wiring schematics

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This problem only started after I installed the trailer wiring, and the other strange symptom was that for awhile the parking brake indicator on the dash was lighting up even with the parking brake off. Un-installing the trailer wiring didn't fix the problem. Since the parking brake is also what triggers the DRLs to go on and off, it seems like the answer lies somewhere in the relationship between the DRLs and the parking brake, but I don't know how those components intersect. And I can't figure out what could have been shorted, pinched or tripped while working on the trailer wiring that could have caused a problem with the DRLs.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Well, for some reason all I have is a schematic for lights without DRL and no wiring schematics at all for the DRL. I will opt out and see if another expert can help

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, so does this question go back into a queue then?
Summary of the problem: DRLs stopped working after installing trailer wiring. Also got a false parking brake alert when this happened, but that symptom went away. I've checked all fuses I can find and relay 94, which is allegedly the relay for the DRLs, but I didn't find any blown fuses and relay 94 is working. I think I need to know how the parking brake triggers the DRLs and all the schematics for what else is involved with the DRLS to find the root of the problem. I still don't understand how installing trailer wiring could have caused the DRLs to stop working, but un-installing the trailer wiring did not fix the problem. Can someone tell me all the relays and fuses and wiring involved with the DRLs and parking brake?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 2 months ago.

Let me know your VIN and I can look up diagrams specific to your build data.

Also, you aren't having problems with anything else are you- say your wipers or your radio?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
WV2NB47041H112477
I just checked and the radio and wipers are fine. The door re-locking (when it shouldn't) problem and this new DRL problem are the only issues, particularly the only electrically related issues.