Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Check engine light comes on. fuel smell. stalls sometimes.

Customer Question

check engine light comes on. rich fuel smell. stalls sometimes. Sometimes doesn't want to start. other times drives nice -- starts right up. sometimes difficult to start.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: light stays on, but sometimes turns off.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 89 buick century
JA: Are you fixing your Century yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had new spark plugs put in, and a new throttle sensor, and something else. no a mechanic shop did the work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 116000 miles. always been dependable. just had the oil changed. -- it was really thick and muddy. last change was 3000 miles ago.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

What engine do you have? Any chance you know what diagnostic code is setting? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no sorry
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Do you know what engine you have? If not, you can give me the 8th digit of vin. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I was just trying to see what the problem might be. I already forked out almost $1000 to have it fixed, and it's not. Was wondering if it might be a fuel filter or some such thing.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

These models had a lot of injector problems, to me it sounds like that is the problem. Usually they run better cold and then act up when warm. To know for sure a good test is checking resistance of injectors during no start problems, if any of injectors are a lot different value then the others you would want to replace that injector. I'd consider talking to shop about giving you a good deal on continuing to fix problem, maybe give free labor since you have already spent so much money trying to get problem fixed without results. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
did I just pay $5 to get a phone call and a request for more money? I think I want a refund.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

That is a automatic feature of the site that has nothing to do with me, I can understand how it would be frustrating. I want to help and do no want you to be upest, did you want me to put in refund request? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I just saw your answer. Appreciate it. I'll do just that.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

No problem, I'm happy to help. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees if you run into more questions. Thanks again and have a good night!