sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2003 land rover discovery, stalls at stop,, replaced CPS,

Customer Question

2003 land rover discovery , stalls at stop,, replaced CPS, IPS, cleaned Idle air sensor ,MAF, throttle body, PCV , checked for vacuum leaks. no codes , read about troubled fuse block or ECM , not sure where to go next?
JA: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?
Customer: starts right back up ,no just at stop light. no hesitation runs smooth.
JA: Are you fixing your Discovery yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes , CPS, Throttle position sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Cleaned throttle body , MAF sensorsor
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few things going on and it may require some testing while the problem is happening to determine what is going on. The torque converter clutch may be staying locked up when coming to a stop or it could be an engine related issue.

Does it feel as if the engine is being dragged down with the same feel as stopping with a manual trans and not pressing the clutch?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No,
It stalls randomly, I could be stopped for a minute idling at a red light and then it stalls.Today out driving around town it did not stall until 40 minutes into the drive, Will the torque converter stay locked with low Trans fluid? I am trying to get the trans fluid level correct. I had a code PO741 and thought I corrected it with the proper fluid level, The stalling has been occurring for the last several months,I retrieved code just recently . I drained the trans fluid then refilled and retrieved the PO741 soon after. I think i have the correct trans fluid level at this time and have not seen the PO741 as of this time , although I am not sure of the time needed for the PO741 code to be reestablish. The trans fluid could have been at the incorrect level for some time, not sure !
Thanks
Chris
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Engine light came on ,the I retrieved code.

Low fluid level can cause the converter to lock coming to a stop and this code does point to a converter clutch issue. Has the problem happened again after getting the fluid level correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No,
I feel confident it is correct now, although I will check again once it has cooled down. But it has stalled again since I leveled the fluid.
This is the first time seeing this code,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Getting the trans fluid at correct level on this vehicle is a chore, but I am determined to be sure it is correct.

If the fluid level is correct and the symptoms and code persist then the problem is likely to be the converter clutch solenoid or the converter itself.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok,
I will check fluid level again and run it more, If the problem still exists how many drive cycles will it take to get a code? or will it be a conditional situation to receive a code?

If the same conditions exist that caused the code to set then it will most likely take two consecutive trips with the failure to set the code again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK,
Thanks for your help!

You're welcome!