Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Guys happy new year f...it seems like i carry my old

Customer Question

Guys
happy new year
my name is ***** ***** seems like i carry my old problems into this new year but as they say life continues
I have issues with my 1993 300e 3.2 mbz... It startup ok.shift will move BUT gears will not engage on the transmission..
2 days ago i drove the car and this problem started when i was parking ...went to reverse then drive then reverse again then i lost everything
I dont hear any click or whining when i use the shift to go thru the gears.slowly....
couple of things come to mind...
i clear the computer using that keyboard in front of the battery but nothing..battery voltage is 12.5v and go up a little when the car is running
a..could it be that ecu or tcu is bad ?
b..the shift cable seems to be intact..but i went under car and saw plastic piece where the shift cable is...could that be bad?
c..I am not sure but does this car has that 13 pin electrical connector with o rings?
await a response
sam f
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

does thecar come out of and go back into park?

does park hold the car to keep it from moving?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi tim
sam here
thanks for taking the call.. i had left my computer for a little
well
your second question first...when it first happen i put the key in the ignition and the car startup with the shift in P park. i could start it with my shift in P
park then when i press brake and shift to D .. it will not move..i then shift to R and it still will not move
Now yesterrday i notice that when i put the key in the ignition and try to start with the shift in P it would not start. I press the brake and shift to N and it start up in N neutral but it still will not go foward or go backup
so it seems that i will have to reset the transmission later.. But for now to me it will not move so i assume it might be still in park..Now your first question . I could put my key in ignition press the brake and startup from P earlier but now i can only start from N so yes the transmission appear to be shifting when i move the shift inside the car.. Startup from N neutral but still will not move foward D or reverse R
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the check engine light was ON so i use the keyboard in front of the battery to clear the check engine light ...
.the ecu and the tcu are 2 different animals from what i understand. all error codes from the transmission are stored in the tcu
so it may be i need to find a way to clear both ecu and tcu seperately to see if that resolve the issue

have you checked the fluid?is it full of fluid?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
fluid is almost full up to the first mark on dipstick

ok..if you are sure the shifter is in fact mechanically shifting the transmission..

then,i do not see an easy fix for this one..

i also dont think the problem is electrical,but has an internal mechanical failier.

you need to take it to a transmission shop so that a mechanic can physically check it out.

from what you are telling me,,it sounds as if the transmission willneed to be rebuilt or replaced,,sorry

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can i go under the car disconnect the shift and see if i can manually shift the transmission?

you can get up under the car and just look at it to see if the shift lingage is shifting the shift lever of the transmission..

i would think if it is coming out of park with the shifrter to where the car will roll,and shift back into park to where it holds the car,that the shift lingage is working

thanks

here you go

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the car is a couple blocks from where i am presently so i will get over there a little later and make a decision
do i have to have someone in the car shifting the shifter while i watch its movement?

not really..as long as you are satisfied that the linkage is connected and the problem isnt the linkage..

if the problem isnt with the linkage,,then i think the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced..

that is why you may want to let a mechanic that can physically check it out to look at it

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok great..i will go and take a look with a mechanic friend of mine ..i will get back with you as soon as i am confident that it working or not working ..so hang tight this will take us some time
but i will surely get back with you to close this thing out
sam f

ok