Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

I accidentally put BP Ultimate Diesel fuel into my Holden

Customer Question

I accidentally put BP Ultimate Diesel fuel into my Holden Combo Van today instead of putting BP Ultimate unleaded I have some ideas on what I need to do but would like a fully qualified mechanic to walk / talk me thru a recommended procedure to get it running again the motor is still turning over but obviously won't start cause of diesel fuel
Category: Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When we have this problem in our service department (it is unfortunately common), the recommended procedure is to disconnect the fuel lines and electrical connections at the tank, remove the fuel tank, remove the sending unit, drain the diesel, wash the tank out with clean gasoline several times, reinstall the sending unit, and then reinstall the tank. Fill the tank with fuel and attempt to start. As soon as it starts (it will run rough), shut the engine off and then replace the fuel filter. This is all that is needed when you have diesel fuel in a gasoline fuel tank.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.