david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

Car started slowing down, gauges stopped working, battery

Car started slowing down, gauges stopped working, battery light came on. Found burned fuse box on top of battery with alternator fuse blown and 5 amp fuse inside car blown for auto trans gauge cluster. Changed fuse box and replaced alternator wire. Only issue now is car stays in first gear . Obd codes are showing solenoids and won't clear. What could cause this? 02 beetle

Hi Im David what interior fuse was blown?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5 amp cluster /auto trans fuse and the 20 amp auto transmission fuse. Both fuses were replaced and they did not blow again

ok, try this before we get into heavy troubleshooting. disconnect both battery cables. clamp them together for 15 minutes. reconnect them and see if that resets the modules.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, i will have response for u in the morning. I am away from car.

ok, sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That did not work.

ok. im going to pull a diagram of what those fuses all control. please allow me a few minutes

ok. you need to be a bit more specific. whats the number of the fuses, not amps , but the number like F1 OR F8 ???

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
F15 ,F31

thank you so much. i will be with you in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Haven't heard back from you ? Could the Tcm be damaged since those fuses were blown (f15,f31)?

im so sorry. the holiday weekend was nuts.

im going to look at the fuses right now.

1.8 OR 2.0 ENGINE?

put new fuses in. disconnect the transmission control module. see if they blow again.

are you there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Will try
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2.0

hi, sorry. was busy

just checking in to see how its going?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your help. The tcm was fried also . I changed the alternator wire to a 4 gauge wire going to the fuse box also on top of battery. The car is okay now!

very glad to hear it!. please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. thank you. have a great night.

take care

thank you