Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Is the 1993 Subaru Impreza fuel pump relay mounted under the

Customer Question

is the 1993 Subaru Impreza fuel pump relay mounted under the dash on left body panel and will pulling the fuse panel out, [that's mounted just above left kick panel] and its associated wiring harness's get me access to it or is there another way to access it?DETAILS; #1- car was located on street in sub zero weather, with no power to fuel pump and all electrical connections checking out except fuel pump relay which I could not find, I jumpered the fuel pump and drove car into a garage.
#2- Mitchell1 DIY says; ”Location...fuel pump relay...BEHIND dash, left side”, which is not very helpful.
#3- 1993 Subaru Impreza service manual, in 'Wiring diagrams' has; "bulkhead wiring harness (in compartment)" showing horn, main, fuel pump,and blower relay connectors together on right side of dash area, but has nothing on servicing / replacing the relays and so far I have found nothing on “U tube”.
#4- Just Answer Question; 1993 Subaru Impreza how do you get to fuel pump relay?
Just Answer; David Craig OWNER/MECHANIC, LOCATION: Beneath dash, The relay has green connector and mounted near the top of the L.H. kick panel, adab918f-b33f-4087-b083-a15d130b51ae_fuel pump.png View.
#5- 'Just Answer’ answer being wrong [not behind kick panel or near it] “view” is worthless [pic of relay that does not show location]. a correct answer, or a instructoral link etc. on how to replace/service 'fuel pump relay' would be helpful.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this a wagon or sedan and awd or front wheel drive?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sedan, front wheel - also found component location fuel system that shows fuel pump relay to the right of SPFI control box in dash, still trying to figure uot how to get to it, remove center instrument cluster maybe?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My info shows the fuel pump relay above the main relay under the drivers side of the dash as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrfkw58haa1sw0d/fp-12-30.gif?dl=0

It looks to be mounted to a metal bracket that holds the 2 relays

If you have already checked here let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
unless behind fuse box wiring i cant see past its not under dash, behind kick panel, on or near fuse box plate, or anywhere accessible under dash, kick panels or nee panels right, middle or left
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I am seeing and showing on this here.It may be possible it is behind the fuse panel wiring as the diagram looks to show a wiring loom under the bracket.If you would like I can opt out and see if anyone else can help further on this here just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm 2 hours away from car i will let you know what i find out tomorrow as i continue to tear into the dash. as you can see on the view it dose not show where its mounted, could be any where in or out side of dash. the SPFI control box, in dash, is on the the left, got any Idea how to get to it? yes go ahead and pass off
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

It will be under the dash most likely to the left of the steering column about mid dash height.This is usually where they tuck away these things.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** a box left of the steering column and right of fuse panel, will concentrate on opening that area up.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hit the wall; to get access to fuse box plate, removed left kick panel & nee panel again, removed unknown wire harness box mounted on nee panel to get panel out of way, unbolted SPFI control unit in front of fuse box plate and swung out of way, unbolted fuse box plate maneuvered fuse box plate and its associated wiring harnesses clear of its mounting plate where I could see more wiring harnesses underneath upper end of plate, unbolted mounting plate slid relay off of it [probably the blower relay] maneuvered mounting plate around until I could unsnapped plastic wiring harness clamp on upper end and remove plate, pulling the now accessible wiring harnesses down, I could now see and access the fuel pump relay held in place with a simple snap clip, I replaced the relay, only to find I had battery power to the relay but no ignition power to the control circuit [relay coil] from the SPFI. either the SPFI unit is bad and needs to be replaced or its good and shut the car down because of some other part. The last I checked there are no after market code readers that work with pre-1995 cars, right? and there is no Subaru dealers with in 50 miles, but there may be a repair shop near by that still has a working earlier code reader. my only option seems to be jumper ignition power to the fuel pump relay. Note; I did not unplug anything in the process of doing all this and the car still starts and runs when I jumper the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
before I jumper the relay I will check to see if I have power from the ignition switch
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

This may be the ignition switch itself at fault here.I have seen some ignition switch failures in the past before cause this issue.Let me know if you find any issues with the switch itself.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
with this storm coming in it probably will be Tuesday before can get back to work on the car. until then; have a happy new year!!
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Happy New Year to you as well.Let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete