Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

2010 Honda accourd code p3400 valve pause system vps stuck

Customer Question

2010 Honda accourd
code p3400 valve pause system vps stuck off bank 1
engine runs rough and loosing power
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 24 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

Please read below steps necessary to take to know what is wrong

and click on blue link to view the diagrams that goes with this procedure

DTC Troubleshooting: P3400 DTC P3400: VPS Stuck Off Bank 1 Special Tools Required - Pressure Gauge Adapter 07NAJ-P07010A - A/T Low Pressure Gauge w/Panel 07406-0070301 - A/T Pressure Test Hose 07AAJ-PY4A100 - A/T Pressure Adapter 07MAJ-PY40120 - Oil Pressure Hose 07ZAJ-S5AA200 --- NOTE: Before you troubleshoot, record all freeze data and any on-board snapshot, and review the general troubleshooting information See: Computers and Control Systems > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview. 1. Check the engine oil level and quality. Is it OK? YES - Go to step 2. NO - Adjust the engine oil level to the proper level, or replace the engine oil if needed, then go to step 31. 2. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II). 3. Clear the DTC with the HDS. 4. Select the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS, and do the VPS TEST. Are VCMB1-0 and VCMB2-0 indicated? YES - Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at rocker arm oil control solenoid A (Bank 1), rocker arm oil control solenoid B (Bank 1), the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch, and the PCM. NO - If the result is - VCMB1-1: Go to step 5. - VCMB1-3: Go to step 13. - VCMB1-2, VCMB1-4: Check the oil passage for the rear bank cylinder pause system. If it is OK, replace the rear rocker arm oil control valve See: Variable Valve Timing Solenoid > Removal and Replacement > Rear Rocker Arm Oil Control Valve Replacement (J35Z2 Engine), then go to step 30. - VCMB2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4: The front bank cylinder pause system is faulty. Go to the troubleshooting for P3497 See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > P Code Charts > P3497. 5. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0). 6. Disconnect the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch 1P connector. 7. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II). 8. Check the ROCKER ARM OIL PRESSURE SWITCH B in the DATA LIST with the HDS. Is SWITCH ON indicated? YES - Go to step 9. NO - Replace the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch See: Variable Valve Timing Pressure Switch > Removal and Replacement > Rear Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch Removal/Installation (J35Z2 Engine), then go to step 30. 9. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0). 10. Jump the SCS (service check signal) line with the HDS. 11. Disconnect PCM connector C (49P). 12. Check for continuity between PCM connector terminal C30 and body ground.

Zoom and Print Options

Is there continuity?

YES -

Repair short in the wire between the PCM (C30) and the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch, then go to step 30.

NO -

Check for poor connections or loose terminals at rocker arm oil control solenoid A (Bank 1), rocker arm oil control solenoid B (Bank 1), the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch, and the PCM, then go to step 36.

13. Select the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS, and do the VPS TEST.

14. Check the ROCKER ARM OIL PRESSURE SENSOR with the HDS during the 3 CYLINDER ACTIVATION (TEST 3 and 6) and the 4 CYLINDER ACTIVATION (TEST 5 and 7).

Is there about 217.0 kPa (2.2 kgf/cm2, 31.5 psi) or more?

YES -

Go to step 15.

NO -

Check these parts:

- Engine oil filter
- Engine oil screen
- Engine oil pump
- Engine oil passage

If needed, clean or replace these parts, then go to step 31.

15. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

16. Disconnect the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch 1P connector.

17. Connect the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch 1P connector terminal to body ground with a jumper wire.

Zoom and Print Options

18. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

19. Check ROCKER ARM OIL PRESSURE SWITCH B in the DATA LIST with the HDS.

Is SWITCH ON indicated?

YES -

Go to step 20.

NO -

Go to step 26.

20. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

21. Remove the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch See: Variable Valve Timing Pressure Switch > Removal and Replacement > Rear Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch Removal/Installation (J35Z2 Engine).

22. Attach the special tools to the rear rocker arm oil control valve as shown, then attach the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch (A) to the pressure gauge adapter (B).

Zoom and Print Options

23. Reconnect the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch 1P connector.

24. Select the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS, and do the VPS TEST.

25. Check the oil pressure during the 3 CYLINDER ACTIVATION (TEST 3 and 6) and the 4 CYLINDER ACTIVATION (TEST 5 and 7).

Does the oil pressure increase to at least 56.4 kPa (0.58 kgf/cm2, 8.2 psi)?

YES -

Replace the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch See: Variable Valve Timing Pressure Switch > Removal and Replacement > Rear Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch Removal/Installation (J35Z2 Engine), then go to step 30.

NO -

Check the rear cylinder pause system oil passage. If it is OK, replace the rear rocker arm oil control valve See: Variable Valve Timing Solenoid > Removal and Replacement > Rear Rocker Arm Oil Control Valve Replacement (J35Z2 Engine), then go to step 30.

26. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

27. Jump the SCS (service check signal) line with the HDS.

28. Disconnect the PCM connector C (49P).

29. Check for continuity between PCM connector terminal C30 and body ground.

NOTE: Do not remove the jumper wire from the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch.

Zoom and Print Options

Is there continuity?

YES -

Check for poor connections or loose terminals at rocker arm oil control solenoid A (Bank 1), rocker arm oil control solenoid B (Bank 1), the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch, and the PCM. If the connections and terminals are OK, go to step 36.

NO -

Repair open in the wire between the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch and the PCM (C30), then go to step 30.

30. Reconnect all connectors.

31. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

32. Reset the PCM with the HDS.

33. Do the PCM idle learn procedure See: Engine Control Module > Programming and Relearning > ECM/PCM Idle Learn Procedure.

34. Select the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS, and do the VPS TEST.

Are VCMB1-0 and VCMB2-0 indicated?

YES -

Go to step 35.

NO -

Check for poor connections or loose terminals at rocker arm oil control solenoid A (Bank 1), rocker arm oil control solenoid B (Bank 1), the rear rocker arm oil pressure switch, and the PCM, then go to step 1.

35. Check for Pending or Confirmed DTCs with the HDS.

Are any Pending or Confirmed DTCs indicated?

YES -

If any other Pending or Confirmed DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.

NO -

Troubleshooting is complete.

36. Reconnect all connectors.

37. Update the PCM if it does not have the latest software See: Engine Control Module > Programming and Relearning > ECM/PCM Update, or substitute a known-good PCM See: Computers and Control Systems > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview.

38. Select the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS, and do the VPS TEST.

Are VCMB1-0 and VCMB2-0 indicated?

YES -

Go to step 39.

NO -

If the PCM was updated, substitute a known-good PCM See: Computers and Control Systems > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview, then recheck. If the PCM was substituted, go to step 1.

39. Check for Pending or Confirmed DTCs with the HDS.

YES -

NO -

If the PCM was updated, troubleshooting is complete. If the PCM was substituted, replace the original PCM See: Engine Control Module > Removal and Replacement.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 21 days ago.

Happy Holidays

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat