Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  California smog licensed, ASE ceritied in L1, A6, A8 for over 30 years professionally
25319281

We have a 2005 LR3 and a 2006 Range Rover Sport. Both have

Customer Question

We have a 2005 LR3 and a 2006 Range Rover Sport. Both have had recent oil changes but the check engine light is still on and the lube tech does not know how to reset this function. We followed the manual reset procedure and the SII function is not enabled. Do you have any suggestions?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Does not blink
JA: Are you fixing your Range Rover yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Oil change is performed at a Castrol location. We tried the posted manual reset procedure - press trip reset button, turn ignition to II position and the SII did not flash "SERVICE"
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that we are relatively sure it is not an actual check engine problem - both cars have had recent scheduled oil changes and the check engine light is displayed. Castrol tech has no idea how to reset this and we would like to not have to put both vehicles into dealer service just to reset service interval indicator
Category: Car
Expert:  Jim replied 3 months ago.

The check engine light and oil service reminder light are two seperate lights, the check engine light is related to the on board computer system. You can disconnect both battery cables and rub them together this will clear the computer and rest the check engine light.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did view your answer and replied - think that idea is a dangerous one so I will pass on your suggestion of rubbing battery cables together.
Expert:  Jim replied 3 months ago.

Its not dangerous both cables are disconnected and there is no power source at that point to make it dangerous, I have done this procedure thousands of times over the last 35 years, your other option is to use a scan tool to reset the light.