Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

2000 5.9 cummins engine stalls then runs fine then stalls

Customer Question

2000 5.9 cummins engine stalls then runs fine then stalls again while driving
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: check engine light on only while driving had truck scanned only a wheel sensor code
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2000 freigtliner
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: was told air in fuel system already checked no leaks
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 9 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually the check engine light wont indicate a wheel sensor at fault here.This wheel sensor would usually cause an issue with the abs light or traction light coming on.It might be a good idea to have the codes re checked to see what codes come up then those will help diagnose the fault.

One common component that will cause the feel or look of air in the fuel is a restricted engine fuel filter or a fault with the injection pump acting up intermittently.I have seen both cause this type of fault here in the past.

If you have not had the engine fuel filter replaced in the last 10,000 miles this should be replaced or replaced anyways to see if it resolves the fault as this is most common.

The injection pump creates a suction to pull fuel and if there is a leak in allot of cases it wont show up as an external leak since the pump sucks the fuel in.This would allow the pump to suck in air and fuel and can cause this here.Usually the fuel system needs pressurized to locate any type of fuel leak needing repaired.The slightest leak can also cause this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete